The calendar says it’s fall, which makes my stomach prep for hibernation food. Chicken Pot Pie is a comfort staple that has several variation possibilities. A few ideas: broccoli and cheese, mushrooms, swap turkey for chicken. It’s also a dish that was available in the microwave variety. Bachelor Basics ideas usually come from the frozen food aisle of the grocery. Here’s my Chicken Pot Pie recipe. It’ll take more than 10 minutes until you hear the ding for supper time, but it’s worth the time investment. Plus, it’s a great dish to cook for friends (or a date).
First, here are three shortcuts to shave off time making a homemade pot pie:
- Buy a rotisserie chicken. This cuts out an hour of cooking the chicken. Grab one of those $5 special chickens and skip to shortcut #2. Time saved: one hour+
- Buy a bag of mixed frozen veggies. Fresh veggies are great, but you’re already in the frozen food aisle anyway for another pizza. Get a bag of mixed veggies (peas, carrots). Time saved: 15 mins.
- Get a frozen pie crust. Time saved: 2 hours.
With these shortcuts, you have one quick task of making the filling versus three or four time-consuming steps.
Grocery List for Homemade Pot Pie
- solid splash of olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1-2 ribs of celery, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups of carrot and peas (frozen works)
- a handful mushrooms, sliced
- half a stick of butter
- 1/3 cup of flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock/broth
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 pie crust
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- Heat pan on medium heat for 5 mins. Use this time to carve the chicken off the bone.
- Add oil to the pan. After one minute, add onion and celery. Stir. Add salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms. Cook and stir for 5-7 mins/until onion is translucent.
- Melt butter, then add flour. Stir until the mixture becomes glue-like.
- Stir in chicken stock, then add milk. Add chicken and frozen veggies. The final result should be thick. If it’s like cement, add more chicken stock. Let it cool for 10 mins.
- Spoon mixture into pie shell. Cover with remaining pie crust. Pinch closed.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes at 400 degrees. You’ll want the pie crust to be brown. Let it cool after you take it out or burn your mouth. Choose wisely.